Magazine PDF Archive
The Pennsylvania Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP) provides financial assistance, in the form of grants, to eligible Pennsylvania service members and their eligible family members. Eligible members must have a direct and immediate financial need as a result of circumstances beyond their control. The amount of a grant is based on documented financial need, up to a maximum of $3,500. Examples of such financial need include:
• A sudden or unexpected loss of income, real or personal property, assets or support, directly related to military service, or exigent circumstances affecting the service member.
• Emergency need for child care for which the applicant lacks financial resources.
• Natural or man-made disasters resulting in a need for food, shelter or other necessities.
• The death or critical illness of a parent, spouse, sibling or child resulting in immediate need for travel, lodging or subsistence for which the applicant lacks financial resources. (Service members serving in OCONUS locations must seek assistance through military channels for emergency travel prior to submitting for assistance from PA MFRAP. A statement from the service member’s command (LTC or higher) that such assistance is not available, and why, will be required with each application.)
Eligibility: The Program applies to Pennsylvania residents who:
• Are serving on 30 or more consecutive days of active duty with the Pennsylvania Army or Air National Guard or Reserve Components of the Armed Forces (Army Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve).
• Are serving on 30 or more consecutive days of active duty with the active armed forces (Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard).
• Are serving on 30 or more consecutive days of state active duty for emergencies or duty under the Emergency Management Assistance Compact in the Pennsylvania Army or Air National Guard.
• Are members in good standing the Pennsylvania Army or Air National Guard or Reserve Component of the Armed Forces for a period of three years after completion of a qualifying tour of active duty of 30 or more consecutive days when the financial need is directly related to the member’s active duty period.
• Are former members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the Reserve Components and the Pennsylvania Army and Air National Guard for a period of four years after medical discharge for medical disability incurred in line of duty while serving on a qualifying tour of active duty of 30 or more consecutive days when the financial need is directly related to the former member’s service, to exigent circumstances beyond the eligible members control or the disability incurred in the line of duty of the military service.
• Are eligible relatives of qualified eligible service members in limited circumstances. To Apply or get more Information:
Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP)
Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
Bldg. 0-47 Fort Indiantown Gap
Annville, PA 17003-5002
Phone: (717) 861-6500 or toll-free at 1-866-292-7201
Fax: (717) 861-8124
The PNG State Family Program Office at 717-861-2650
Search Our Site
Letter from the Director
This month reminds us of the important relationships we celebrate on Valentine’s Day. The program managers of Family MWR are constantly developing events and services focused on your...