Magazine PDF Archive
‘What’s the story with…?’ is a phrase commonly heard at Carlisle Barracks. With more than 50 buildings in the National Historic Register, the post has a history unlike many others.
This is the latest in a series that will take a look at historic buildings, photos and more that tell the story of Carlisle Barracks. Throughout nearly 260 years of history, the post has been home to many pioneering schools, events and leaders that have helped shape our Nation. Want to learn more? Check out the Carlisle Barracks history page at http://carlislebarracks.carlisle.army.mil/history.htm or visit the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center at http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.cfm
Armstrong Hall, built in 1895, served as the school laundry for Carlisle Indian Industrial School students and staff and for Soldiers when the post came back under Army control. In the image below an electric trolley can be seen that provided transportation to and from Carlisle for Soldiers at the post. It entered the post through the Pratt Avenue Gate and could be boarded at Armstrong Hall for the short trip to Carlisle.
The building is named for Maj. Gen. John Armstrong, an American civil engineer and Soldier who served as a brigadier general in the Continental Army and as a major general in the Pennsylvania Militia during the Revolutionary War. He was also a delegate to the Continental Congress for Pennsylvania. Armstrong County, Pennsylvania is named in his honor. John died at home in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on March 9, 1795, and is buried in the Old Carlisle Cemetery.
It is now home to Carlisle Barracks Resource Management and Contracting Offices.
Search Our Site
Letter from the Director
This month reminds us of the important relationships we celebrate on Valentine’s Day. The program managers of Family MWR are constantly developing events and services focused on your...